Game Idea Research

 

(image of 3 characters  from subway surfers, source)

For my game idea I will stick to a game that is similar to how subway surfers is. I've played a lot of Subway Surfers when I was younger and am well accustomed to their game mechanics and would like to try to make something similar.

The first game mechanic that I would like to have is to make or generate an endless track that only stops when the player hits an object and losses for example. This would mean that I don't have to make each individual part of the track and only a frame for it.

A second game mechanic that I would like to have are obstacles and objects that the character has to avoid. These can come in many shapes or forms such as objects you just have to dodge, ones that you can jump over and possibly some that you can slide under if I can figure out a way to make the player slide. Another obstacle I could have would be to make an object come towards the player.

A third game mechanic that I would like to have would be a sort of point system. This can work in two ways, they gain points per second or as long as they are moving since the objective of the game is to get as far as possible without dying and a second way to get points would be to collect an object such as a coin as they are running. The coins could be added to the overall point system or could be a separate or its own point system.

A great resource I found that I feel could greatly help me with this game idea is a series of YouTube tutorials on how to create a 3d endless runner game. I looked through some of them and feel like I could definitely use those as a guide when making my own game project. The link to the first video is here.

Comments

  1. Hey Fineas you’re subway surfer idea is great just like I said in your previous game idea blog. You should look at temple run as more inspiration for your game it’s very similar to subway surfer and has more obstacles in it. Are you going to make it in a subway also or do you have an idea for a theme. Im excited to see where your game goes and how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fineas I just read your game idea research and think it's a great idea! Our games are similar enough and I think the idea of having an endless track is really cool and could even be useful for my own game. I see that you want your player to be able to jump and slide over different objects they face in the game, what if you just kept it to jumping? I think it would make it more straight forward for the player and make it even easier for you as it looks like you already have a lot of great ideas to include in it. The third game mechanic was some sort of points system, I also want to do this in my game and I found this link that could be helpful for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlPtAErGp0 ! I was wondering if you were going to include any sound in your game? Even the noise the coins being collected could be a good addition.
    Hope it works out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Fineas
    Great Idea and I think it's 100% doable, I see you kept the game nice and simple but I wonder if you could try to implement some different mechanics which are different from subway surfers, maybe using a different scene? or maybe changing it to a timer based system? Just to avoid too much similarities.

    I love the idea of having obstacles that come in different shapes and forms but what If you could have animals and monsters that are dangerous and the play has to avoid them. Maybe try to have some animals and monsters running at the player and he will able to move left, right and jump over . I think it's doable because we learned the skills required in the last three Unity tutorials except for the sliding and jumping part.

    Your Idea is well thought of it, Keep it up!

    best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fineas,
    I have just finished looking over your game idea research here and I think this is a really cool ideas you have here. I am wondering as you said it is going to be similar to the original Subway Surfers are you doing to design to characters a different style to the original. Will there only be three tracks or will you make it to be four?
    I like they way you are still sticking to having objects to slide under and avoid, will any of those objects to living or are they just like trains, rocks or boxes.
    I see that coins are the only source of collectables, am I right and why is that?.

    I like all the mechanics you have listed out and I hope it all works out well for you.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future [Please Enter Career]

Prototype