Prototype

 

(image of character pack on unity, source)

This week I started on my prototype and I first went looking for some assets I could use in my game. I found the above free character pack in unity which also includes the animations I need for the game like running and jumping. I also looked for a map that I can keep repeating in the game. I found something which works but I'm not sure if it will be my final map I use for the game. It is found at this link. Another thing I found in the asset store was an Endless Runner sample game that is completed and I got that asset so I can use it as a point of inspiration and help if I get stuck in the future. The game asset is found at this link.

I then wanted to focus on my player movements and I found a tutorial that went over the movements of a character in an endless runner. It is found at this link. I made the character run, jump, go left and right which as the movements he'll need in the game. I took my time with it so I can get a good understanding of the code as I was building it in case I need to modify something in the future.

After making my character move with animations I started looking for more tutorials and assets that I could use to make the game. I ended up finding a tutorial on how to generate my map platform here and I think I'll end up using that tutorial next week to create and generate an endless platform for the game. Another great place for assets that I came across is itch.io. They have loads of games that people created there but also have a game assets section where I can look for more assets in the future.

Comments

  1. Hey, Fineas!
    I really like Endless Run games, I have played them multiple times before (and still do hehe)
    I also got free assets but only one came with a bit of script (a bit in like one small line ~sad loud cry)
    I honestly can't believe you found a assets with a fully ready endless run! Thanks for adding the link hihihi if in the future I need so help I'm gonna go there! I really don't know how people find these things coz I can never find them :'(
    Best of luck on your game creation :D
    Lívia Alencar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fineas
    I like the idea of an endless running game, I've decided to do that also, I think it's an easier option, especially for the level of game dev we've done this year and within the time frame to do so. I think it's a great idea to put a link for the assets you've found to help others, it will definitely help me and my process so thank you!! I spent ages trying to find good links online but had no luck, I don't get how other people can. It's a good idea to find out how to generate a map before getting to doing it without knowledge of how to, so having a tutorial will be a great first step. Good luck"""

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fineas,
    First off I wanted to say that reading your blog was very enjoyable and easy to do. I actually found that character asset and was going to use him but his style didn't fit my games look so I had to go and find another one. I really like the idea of an endless runner as I think everyone has experience of some sort with them so they appeal to a large audience. I think it was a really smart idea to link to assets and even the itch.io. I think if you had a few screenshots of your game it might have made the blog look a bit more stylistically appealing but other than that I think you did great man. Good Luck moving forward.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fineas,
    I really like how organized you are with your research. It is very handy to have all the necessary assets there for whenever you need them.
    I was wondering how the game looks so far as you have no images of it on this blog post. I'd love to see how you progress throughout the weeks.
    Reading you blog there's nothing I can say other than keep up the great work.
    I used the TAG technique for this feedback blog comment, Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fineas, good to see you have all the assets that your using picked out and ready to use. I was wondering what style of an endless runner game are you making? For example, will it be see how long you can survive, collect objects to higher your score or even something else? Also just a suggestion it would be nice to add some screen shots or maybe a video or something just to see how your game is coming along. Anyways, good luck with completing this game and I hope it turns out well for you. All the best. -Nathan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future [Please Enter Career]

Game Idea Research